Wednesday, June 25, 2008

TODAY

Is the official middle of the work week.

Time for a history lesson.

Today in 1876:

Indian Chief Crazy Horse won the two-hour Battle of the Little Bighorn, Montana, wiping out the army of Lt. Col. George Armstrong Custer. Custer, who led the battle against the Sioux Indian encampment, was among the 200+ casualties. Ironically, the only survivor of Custer’s forces was a horse, Comanche.



Is it me or does Custer look like that dork from Nickelback?


And for some reason, this bit of history reminds me of a story I read long ago and now I can't get it out of my head. It goes like this:

Nicolai Pestretsov was a 36 year old man stationed in Angola, a long way from home. His wife had come to visit him. One morning, South African military units entered Angola where Nicolai's wife and several Russian soldiers were killed while the rest of the Russians fled. Except for Nicolai who was captured. According to the South African notes, "Sgt. Major Nicolai Pestretsov refused to leave the body of his slain wife, who was killed in the assault."

The South Africans were so surprised, they repeated the information. "He went to the body of his wife and would not leave it, although she was dead."

So Nicolai was sent to a South African prison.

Nicolai Pestretsov. A man who loved his wife more than anything else.

I just couldn't get this story out of my head. So maybe now you too will carry it in your head.
And sometimes think of a certain Russian named Nicolai Pestretsov.
I know I will.


And now...
Animal Farm.



Why, you ask? Duh.
Happy Birthday, George Orwell!
And what a handsome devil he is!



You don't see mustaches like that anymore.
Interestingly (or not), George didn't want his more famous pen name on his gravestone.



GEAR SHIFT

Why is it John Cusack is always in the rain? Ben Folds serenades....



I mean, seriously! I wonder if he's always sick during his movies because he spends a good part of it rain soaked.
A line spoken by Mr. Cusack in "High Fidelity":

I miss her smell. And the way she tastes. It’s a mystery of human chemistry and I dont understand it. Some people, as far as your senses are concerned, just feel like home.

Which brings us to Billy Joel. Try not to freak out when you see his face.


Told ya.

Try to remember the lessons we've learned here today as you walk through Hump Day.



And for God's sake, get some sleep. You look like hell.

.

No comments: